Sunday, January 5, 2014

Do Not Give Up...the beginning is always the hardest!




Another year- another chance to get it right.  If your health and fitness is at the top of your "to do" list this year,  I have great news!

This can be done. It's just a matter of staying consistent, putting one foot in front of the other and most of all, remember that the outcome is entirely up to you!

You are not waiting for the CEO of a company to call you in for an interview, you're not praying over your lottery ticket and you're not investing in risky stocks. You see where I'm going with this?  This is not a game where your odds are one in a million - this outcome is completely up to you.  YOU make it happen.

Let's get started!

1) Understand and define your motivation.  What is your goal?

* Maybe your goal is to get off your blood pressure or cholesterol medicine?
* Maybe your goal is to get ready for Spring Break or summer vacation?
* Maybe your goal is to stop the cycle of constantly starting over?
* Maybe your goal is to become more healthy to keep up with life demands?

Whatever your goal may be, write it down and keep it visual.  

2)  Keep an activity journal for a month. Do you know what you do in a day?

Write down your sleep pattern, all meals, exercise and time spent at work ( commute included).  You cannot set up a plan without knowing your current demands of life.  It's amazing what happens when you write this down (or use an app) and really see what's going on with you.
* I've mentioned this before in previous blogs - there is no way I would be where I am today if I had not taken the time to keep a journal of my daily life.  This helped me realize my strengths/weaknesses and make me more productive when planning my day.

3) Make a plan for a LIFESTYLE ( and be prepared for the plan to change).

So, you have a realistic idea of what your day looks like? You're not going to get up at 4 am to workout if you go to bed a midnight, right?  You're not going to eat egg whites if you hate eggs?  Make your plan work for you, not against you.

And wait- just as you have a handle on everything, your daily life and commitments may change. Get a hold of the basics that keep your routine in place so you can be ready for the "unexpected".  

Personally, I must spend about 20-30 minutes getting myself ready for the next day.  I pack my gym clothes, food, supplements and even set the coffee maker.  One thing I've learned about myself is that I'm totally useless in the morning.  I will not be prepared for the day unless I get my act together the night before.

4) Enlist some buddies or a professional to keep you motivated.  

Support and encouragement is huge during this process. It's so important to surround yourself with people who believe in you.  Don't waste your time with those that say it's too much work or effort.  

5) Drum Roll Please.....BE CONSISTENT!

Consistency is the key to the finish line. Don't try to fool yourself with thinking that 2 days ON and 2 days OFF is going to get you to the finish line.  If you want to have a lifestyle that allows for some "cheats", then you will need to put in the work today.  The work you put in today is the answer you are looking for...one foot in front of the other!

6) Patience is a virtue.

Yes, our mothers told us "there would be days like this". You will not see changes overnight.  Patience is a MUST when you set out on your journey.

7) Take REST days.

As the adrenaline starts to take over your daily life, remember that rest is still important for your success. Make sure your weekly plan allows for one day of total rest.  You may not feel like you're accomplishing much, but your body will thank you with awesome results.

8) Visualize your success.

What does your goal look like for you?  Do you see yourself running a 5K?  Do you see yourself learning to cook and prepare meals?  Do you see yourself making exercise a daily habit?

If you believe in yourself, you can achieve anything!







Hey peeps- I know this is hard.  I've been there, done that and bought the tourist T shirt.  Don't make this harder than it needs to be for yourself.  Make up your mind to be the best you can be!

Thanks for reading and cheers to your health and fitness!














0 comments:

Followers